Have you ever said under your breath about another person, “Oh they will never change?” Sadly, I have, many times. I’m Glad Someone Didn’t Give Up On Me I can think of many instances where I gave up on a kid in a youth group, or gave up on a participant on a...read more
HOW WILDERNESS MINISTRY IMPACTS YOUR CHURCH
7 WAYS WILDERNESS MINISTRY CAN IMPACT YOUR CHURCH
As a fellow pastor, mission leader, and dad, I want to share 7 reasons why youth pastors, men’s and women’s ministry leaders who want to be on the cutting edge of reaching the culture will prioritize wilderness trips:
1. In our ‘over-connected’ world, there is a great need to escape to the wilderness – to places where God’s creation is clearly evident and unscathed, and He can get our attention.
2. God’s creation of the wilderness offers unprecedented beauty and perspective.
3. Combating busyness with more programs is not going to transform the souls of people. Developing Jesus’ rhythm of retreat will.
4. Experiential learning offers natural decision-making scenarios that teach young people how to avoid trivial emotional distractions that can consume them. Wilderness journeys draw out the best in people by confronting their fears and exposing the traps of entitlement. The wilderness helps sever the entanglements that strangle away God’s epoch vision for our lives.
5. When the stakes were high, the Wilderness was one of God’s favorite instruments to make sure that permanent community transformation took place.
6. Jesus chose a group of young people to turn the world upside down, he used the wilderness as his primary classroom, and he employed adventure to produce radical commitment toward his mission.
7. If Jesus chose the wilderness as a favorite setting to shape his disciples into dynamic leaders, then is it not equally critical in our increasingly urban world for people to encounter Him through wilderness adventure?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO INTRODUCE OUTDOOR MINISTRY TO YOUR CHURCH? JUST LET ME KNOW AND I’LL DO WHAT I CAN TO GET YOU STARTED.
Share with your friends
What do you think?
In what ways do you worship God? This video, made by Denver Seminary students, demonstrates how going into creation is a powerful tool for inspiring worship. The beautiful poem and soundtrack in the video are both praises to God. They are both expressions of worship...read more
I am so excited to have guest blogger, Emily Huguenin, use her 10+ years of outdoor ministry experience to give insight into how wilderness navigation informs a quest for truth. She has written a 3-part series identifying obstacles in the search for "What is True?"...read more