OUTDOOR MISSION CAMP’S VISION
Long term ministry objectives of OMC are summarized as:
• Introduce all campers to a deeply personal, healing relationship with God
• Engage minorities in wilderness appreciation
• Build and Equip young people for a life of service, ministry and missions
• Develop resourcefulness and skills that grow individuals with confidence, a sense of adventure and capability
• Partner with like-minded camps, speakers, churches and ministries to teach the Word of God and develop servant’s hearts
• Involve local and regional partners in prayer and ministry
BRIEF HISTORY OF HOW OUTDOOR MISSION CAMP GOT STARTED AND WHY IT EXISTS
Currently Outdoor Mission Camp operates under the direct supervision of Ruffin and Jamie Shackelford, directors. Summer consists of SHERPA, Wilderness Discipleship Training, which was attended by 6 college students, Camp Expedition, attended by 5 students, and Wilderness 101 which was attended by 115 campers. Summer staff included four additional full-time staff, one of whom stayed on for the year. Fall consisted of 6 retreats, including a week long backpacking trip. Winter currently consists of weekend ski retreats, eight are currently scheduled.
In five years we hope to have a very involved Camp Director in addition to the Executive Directors, who will provide oversight and consultation. We envision two assistant directors to oversee Camp Expedition and Wilderness 101. In addition, we anticipate the need for 4- 8 Camp Ex staff and a seasonal cook. We want to have 12 SHERPAs, 60 Camp Expedition campers and 5 groups of up to 36 campers at W.101. (180 campers.) In the fall we would like to have 3 weeks of Homeschool Horse Camp, 3 weeks of Homeschool family Camp and several retreats or guided backpacking trips. We envision 12 weekend ski retreats and 6 midweek Homeschool ski retreats. We would love to expand into spring break trips for high school and college students including missions trips as well as skills-based climbing and paddling trips.
WHAT MAKES A SUCCESSFUL WILDERNESS ADVENTURE TRIP?
Outdoor Mission Camp reaches out to people, using the creation to provide experiences which promote encounters with God, the Creator, cultivating wholeness, and a zeal to emulate Christ. A successful trip would introduce participants to the majesty of God’ creation and in so doing facilitate God’s interaction with their hearts and with the hearts of others.
HOW OUTDOOR MISSION CAMP INTRODUCES PEOPLE TO CHRIST
OMC is a small, relational ministry and seeks to build relationships that allow us to speak into participants lives and facilitate the opening of their hearts to the ministry of Christ.
DURATION OF TRIPS OFFERED
They offer 1-5 day trips and offer a 10 week SHERPA: Wilderness Discipleship Training course.
EXPEDITIONARY LEARNING ELEMENTS TYPICALLY INCLUDED IN THEIR TRIPS
- Daily devotion or quiet times
- Solo experience (either a few hours or day-long solos)
- Teachable moments or trail talks along the journey
- Having participants share their testimony or life story
- Peak climbs
- Rock climbing
- Practicing and Teaching Leave No Trace Ethics
Trips range from $250-$300.